Staff & Executive – Medical (Clinical) – Nursing
University Correctional Health Care (UCHC), operating within Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, is dedicated to excellence in providing physical, mental health, dental and sex offender treatment services to those involved in the criminal and juvenile justice systems in New Jersey. UCHC operates with a total budget of $150 million and approximately 1,100 staff serving roughly 20,500 inmates in twelve adult correctional facilities, 400 residents in fourteen JJC locations, and 1,000 individuals in ten state parole board offices.
We are committed to being a leader in the delivery of effective, compassionate and accessible care informed by research within correctional environments.
We Care. We Teach. We Heal. We Improve.
Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, is a leading national research university and the state of New Jersey’s preeminent, comprehensive public institution of higher education. Established in 1766 and celebrating a milestone 250th anniversary in 2016, the university is the eighth oldest higher education institution in the United States. More than 67,000 students and 22,000 faculty and staff learn, work, and serve the public at Rutgers locations across New Jersey and around the world.
Rutgers University Correctional Health Care is seeking a Full Time Staff Nurse for the Southwoods State Prison, located in Bridgeton, New Jersey. The Staff Nurse utilizes the nursing process to meet a variety of health care needs with ambulatory care as a primary focus for inmates in the New Jersey Department of Corrections.
- Provides direct and indirect nursing care to meet physiological, psychosocial and emotional needs of the resident-patient including adolescents (13-17 years), adults (18 to 64 years) and their families within the framework established by the correctional system.
- Performs assessments of resident-patient in a variety of settings such as initial intake area, health care unit for sick call, emergency situations in housing, chronic care clinics and infirmary.
- Works with a variety of health care professionals and security officers in a correctional environment.
- Identifies inmate-centered goals and nursing objectives and implements prescribed interventions and solutions for the identified problems.
- Plans nursing care by identification of resident-patient needs based on assessments. Makes appropriate, timely referrals and initiates appropriate nursing care based on institutional policies and procedures.
- As team leader or charge nurse, delegates duties to other health care team members based on their skill and knowledge.
Position Status: Full Time
Hours Per Week: 40
Daily Work Shift: Day
Annual Minimum Salary: 33.140
Annual Mid Range Salary: 41.430
Annual Maximum Salary: 48.120
Standard Hours: 40.00
Union Description: HPAE, Local 5135
Payroll Designation: PeopleSoft
Information about the benefits provided to Rutgers employees can be found at: https://uhr.rutgers.edu/benefits/benefits-overview
Terms of Appointment: Staff – 12 month
Position Pension Eligibility: ABP
Minimum Education and Experience
- Graduate from an accredited School of Nursing, with a license to practice in the State of New Jersey.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- CPR Certification
- Computer literacy
- Bachelor’s of Nursing (BSN).
- Minimum of one (1) year of experience in a correctional setting.
Physical Demands and Work Environment
As a first responder must have the physical capacity to perform CPR for at least 10 minutes. Physically able to lift and carry upstairs an emergency treatment bag that can weigh up to 45 pounds and assist in lifting and rotating patients who are unable to ambulate (up to 50 pounds). Typing, ability to work at varying computer workstations provided by the Department of Corrections in shared office environments, ability to speak clearly and write proficiently is essential, extensive reading required, extended sitting is required. Intermittent physical exertion when performing job activities, ability to move from unit to unit within correctional facilities, frequently walks, bends, stretches, pushes and pulls. Hearing is essential, ability to speak clearly is required, required to travel within the state, ability to implement Universal Precautions and Safety Precautions and on call responsibilities.
Able to function in a stressful environment and relates well to patients, security staff and healthcare team members. A generally crisis oriented, secure environment working with adults, some who exhibit aggressive, threatening behavior. Nurse must exhibit flexibility to work in a variety of settings. May be exposed to infections and contagious diseases. Possibility of cuts, burns, bruises, strains. Subject to varying and unpredictable situations. Entering and movement within the facility will be controlled by Correctional Officers.
Must be approved by the Department of Corrections (DOC) and adhere to all DOC requirements.
Regional Campus: Rutgers Biomedical and Health Sciences (RBHS)
Home Location Campus: Off Campus
Southwoods State Prison, located in Bridgeton, NJ
© Copyright 2020 Internet Employment Linkage, Inc.